Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Instinct science

One of the last scenes in "Indiana Jones and the last Crusade" is about Indiana Jones hanging over the huge earth crack and trying to reach the Holy Grail. His father is trying to stop him but Indy keeps saying "I can reach it" hypnotized by the artifact. Fortunately he is stopped and everybody get out from the temple and go into the sunset.

I think that every person at least once felt something like this. It's like a hunter instinct: you see a prey and you know that you can make it, all you need is to give it a try. The same thing often happens in science. It just came into my mind this morning, when I woke up early this morning and went directly to the computer to continue the research which caught me until 1 am last night, because some good results had started to appear. I believe that without this hunter instinct, when you determine yourself to your goal and then try hard to get it, it's impossible to make a good science (neither it is possible to reach almost anything in other activities). Was this instinct elaborated by evolution or a social phenomenon? To me the former is more appropriate. Thanks, evolution!

No comments:

Post a Comment